Fantasy Racing Online Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Racing Online Message Board

HomeHome  Back To Main Site  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kenseth in NATIONWIDE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rmiller
Inaugural FRO Champ
Inaugural FRO Champ
rmiller

Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Empty
PostSubject: Kenseth in NATIONWIDE   Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 2:53 pm

I am in the camp of believers who think some Cup drivers use the NW to gain any thing of value for their Cup effort.

With the Cup championship battle going on, Matt is racing at PHX, along with Brad, Kyle, and  Harvick.

Yet we rarely see Jimmie doing a NW.

I do believe it usually is just for the fun of it, but surely a plus factor does exist.
Back to top Go down
Zacky1053
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Kenseth in NATIONWIDE   Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 pm

rmiller wrote:
I am in the camp of believers who think some Cup drivers use the NW to gain any thing of value for their Cup effort.

With the Cup championship battle going on, Matt is racing at PHX, along with Brad, Kyle, and  Harvick.

Yet we rarely see Jimmie doing a NW.

I do believe it usually is just for the fun of it, but surely a plus factor does exist.
In all fairness, this is his 14th Nationwide start of the season, so not like he was "anti-Nationwide" until he needed to be, persay.

What I found interesting is that Jimmie Johnson sucked at Nationwide before being promoted to Cup in 2002.
Back to top Go down
WoodsRacing
Sprint Cup Veteran
Sprint Cup Veteran
WoodsRacing

PostSubject: Re: Kenseth in NATIONWIDE   Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Johnson historically has only run about one NW race a year - generally I think it's a promotional contract with his sponsorship.  Kenseth, Logo, Hamlin, Harvick, Keso, and a few other key cup guys have contracts where they 'split' rides for an owner so they only get in maybe every few races.  Kyle Busch pretty much runs them all.  Junior ran 2 I think this year, and as I recall only one last year - usually on a plate track.

Whether they gain any advantage for the cup races the following day is always a matter of opinion for each driver.  Some say they do, others say it's not an overall benefit considering they have to dedicate time and focus over the weekend which detracts somewhat from their cup focus.  The tire compound is really the key factor as to whether they think it's a benefit or not.  On some tracks (but not all) and for some tire compounds (but not all) the knowledge can be quite relevant.  Not only the issue of 'focus and concentration' lost over the weekend but the obvious factor of additional risk is considered by drivers.  And I'm sure some have contract restrictions that disallow it because of the additional risk.

This weekend at Phoenix NW and Cup are on the same tires.  The left sides are different than the left sides they ran here in the spring race (right sides are the same as they ran in the spring).  So for those cup drivers running in NW they may gain some important data on left side tire behavior.  And I'm sure that data will be made known to the other cup teams of the same owner.
Back to top Go down
chrisjen
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie
chrisjen

PostSubject: Re: Kenseth in NATIONWIDE   Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 pm

the extra cup drivers make picking a nationwide team harder too, just Kyle and Keselowski are predictable Harvick and Kenseth in the mix makes it much harder!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kenseth in NATIONWIDE   Kenseth in NATIONWIDE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kenseth in NATIONWIDE
Page 1 of 1