Fantasy Racing Online Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Racing Online Message Board

HomeHome  Back To Main Site  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned

Go down 
+2
Jordan
Zacky1053
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zacky1053
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie

First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Empty
PostSubject: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Sure, Blossom had a ridiculous season (congrats of course), but being my first FULL year of Yahoo, I figured out it's not how you start, but how you finish.

After ten races or so, I was at, near or in the Top 5 in the FRO "Pay to Play" group.

Then everything went downhill from there. I guess you need to take more chances early in the season, and use the last half or so to gain spots back when the sport's best are in Championship form as they gear up for the Chase.

Perhaps my most glaring mistake was use of the A Group

Ended up with 7 Gordon starts, 7 Keselowskis, 5 Harvicks. That's some darn good talent left unused.

Also used WAAAAY too many Kyle starts early on. Gotta take more risks in this game I guess and like I suggested, perhaps getting off to a "slow" start isn't all that bad because the cream of the crop drivers are most valuable the second half of the season.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Administrator
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I disagree with people that say you should "save" driver starts on there. Yes, it's nice to have Kyle Busch's left there later in the season, but if he scores max points early on in the season, you're not going to get any better than that. Doesn't matter when a driver scores max points, the point is to start him when he does.

That being said, I did employ that strategy a bit in 2013. This year, I had 3 Kyle's left and 5 Stenhouse's left for the Chase. I only used the 18 when I thought he could get max points, and Stenhouse I thought he would be a lot better the second time around in tracks.

Personally I think one major thing in Yahoo! is to not use your studs on the plate tracks. Like 18 this year in B, no need to use him on the plate tracks. Same goes with 48 and 20. Just too much value elsewhere.

But Zach you are totally right, it's not how you start it's how you finish. My first year playing Yahoo! was in 2011. I was ~50th percentile after the first 20 races. Finished in the 89th percentile. Last year 99th percentile, this year 97th or so.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyracingonline.forumotion.com
Zacky1053
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Jordan wrote:
I disagree with people that say you should "save" driver starts on there. Yes, it's nice to have Kyle Busch's left there later in the season, but if he scores max points early on in the season, you're not going to get any better than that. Doesn't matter when a driver scores max points, the point is to start him when he does.

That being said, I did employ that strategy a bit in 2013. This year, I had 3 Kyle's left and 5 Stenhouse's left for the Chase. I only used the 18 when I thought he could get max points, and Stenhouse I thought he would be a lot better the second time around in tracks.

Personally I think one major thing in Yahoo! is to not use your studs on the plate tracks. Like 18 this year in B, no need to use him on the plate tracks. Same goes with 48 and 20. Just too much value elsewhere.

But Zach you are totally right, it's not how you start it's how you finish. My first year playing Yahoo! was in 2011. I was ~50th percentile after the first 20 races. Finished in the 89th percentile. Last year 99th percentile, this year 97th or so.
I was actually pretty good about that. Always went with Waltrip/Ragan/Gilliland/Patrick on the plate tracks, used guys like Burton, Menard, McMurray in the B Group.

It happened last year (when I was only ACTIVELY competing in the ESPN game) and this year, with exception to the Yahoo! game:

My best days were during the second half of the year. I did very well in the second half of Chris' game.

I agree that perhaps the 'save starts' strategy isn't perfect, but using say Keselowski or Harvick here and there instead of automatically looking at Johnson and Kenseth I would think really pays off in the long run.

For me, it was really about terrible weeks. I'd get 320 one week and 180 the next after that early period of success.

I had way too many weeks where I had two guys finish outside the Top 30 and another guy barely crack the Top 20.
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Administrator
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:36 pm

This whole season was a little wacky; I'm glad it's over. All you can really do it put out rosters with the fastest cars and hope for the best.

I always excel in the second half of the season, too, I don't know why.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyracingonline.forumotion.com
Zacky1053
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Jordan wrote:
This whole season was a little wacky; I'm glad it's over. All you can really do it put out rosters with the fastest cars and hope for the best.

I always excel in the second half of the season, too, I don't know why.
Well I don't think it's unreasonable to think the first half of the year is a tad more unpredictable in terms of driver performance, especially for the middle-tier guys.

I also don't think I realized how big a deal the extra 10 bonus points for leading a lap is (in Yahoo)! Seriously. Leading ONE LAP is equivalent to five extra spots in the finishing order.
Back to top Go down
Blossom
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie
Blossom

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeTue Nov 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Zacky

The first year or two that Michael and I played at Yahoo we were a little intimidated and we would read
what the "Experts" would pick each week. The following year we started playing the game a little different
and we did a lot better. If I play at Yahoo a hundred more years I will never have another season like the one I just finished. I too started off slow then got real lucky.

Spring rating  10,322
Summer  390
Playoff    274
Overall 5th

The so called " Experts " 

Dan Beaver  64,630   Overall rank
Jay Busbee   82,941      "        "
Jay Hart       96,835      "        "

I like the format and I like the idea of making your picks a day before qualifying. I hope we have a nice turn out
for (2014 FRO Yahoo) but I"m afraid I've used up all my luck  affraid 

Annie
flower
Back to top Go down
chrisjen
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie
chrisjen

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 pm

I can't figure out why I do so much different from game to game, I finished 95.5% in ESPN's game, 68% in Yahoo, about the same here 108th, yet at CDM I finished 28th, I try equally hard in every game?
Back to top Go down
rmiller
Inaugural FRO Champ
Inaugural FRO Champ
rmiller

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 10:55 pm

It's the curse that is upon you. For a modest fee, I can lift it for you.
Back to top Go down
chrisjen
Nationwide Rookie
Nationwide Rookie
chrisjen

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 pm

thanks Ray I knew I could always count on you:lol:
Back to top Go down
rmiller
Inaugural FRO Champ
Inaugural FRO Champ
rmiller

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:09 pm

http://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/22191/weeklyperformance?half=3rd

Ending the season in Victory Lane.   329 points High Score by yours truly, on to 2014
[th]Rank[/th][th]Team[/th][th]27[/th][th]28[/th][th]29[/th][th]30[/th][th]31[/th][th]32[/th][th]33[/th][th]34[/th][th]35[/th][th]36[/th][th]Segment Points*[/th][th]Season Points*[/th]
1rmiller3092743463062482502412962903292,64810,111
2Top8Legendracing2623102892033163623061582642622,5749,535
3Garrett's Gang3222372872702872722792712493002,5379,429
4Fred & Barney (20)2382503272852262942842832612792,5019,340
5The Experts' Choice2672642362982072462893383162042,4619,402
6chrisjen2282662982072682482433002153162,3829,286
Back to top Go down
rmiller
Inaugural FRO Champ
Inaugural FRO Champ
rmiller

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2013 11:14 pm

among the 60 picks, our winner had the lowest score of 203.Also the highest..362
Back to top Go down
Rocky Top
Truck Series Champion
Truck Series Champion
Rocky Top

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 am

Generally speaking, Yahoo scores seemed to be lower this year. 
I think it'll come up in 2014. We should have a much better C group and a full A group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned   First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Full Year of Yahoo! Lessons Learned
Page 1 of 1